J & R Murphy was started in 1850 by brothers John & Robert Murphy, originally crafting dental and surgical instruments. As they grew, they began producing knives for industrial and culinary purposes and the brothers parted ways in 1884 when Robert moved to Harvard, Mass. to make cutlery there. To this day, R. Murphy crafts high-end butchering knives, oyster shuckers and more entirely by hand in the U.S.A.. They remain dedicated to using the best materials for their purposes, including recycled plastic as part of their initiative to keep land and sea free from stray plastic.