Care for whetstone
In order to maximize the performance of the stones and avoid any misuse, please review the following information carefully.
- Use plenty of water, this will act as a lubricant, preventing knives from excess heat. Never ever use oil it will ruin your stone. Don’t let black residue from sharpening build up on the stone to avoid plugging up the grit.
- Do not keep stones in direct sunlight, extreme heat or cold (i.e. Inside of a car in winter).
- Please wipe excess water off from the stone before storing.
- Some stones require soaking in water for about 20min prior to use, others only require a splash of water while sharpening. It depends on the stone. If the stone immediately sucks up all the water on it, soak it. If it pools on top don’t soak it. Please ask us for each stone type.
- Keep stone surface flat as much as you can. Get a truing stone. This will help you to maintain right angle for sharpening, and will give you the best result. The flatter the stones are, the sharper knives get!